Monday, July 18, 2011

Ah-Who?

This morning a group of us went to play badminton. It's a popular sport in China! I invited my new friend, Ah Ying. She's the girl who helped us find our apartment. She keeps on calling me Xu Xiao Jie although I've told her a few times to call me Ah Yun, which is what they call me here. Everyone is Ah-something. There's Ah Ying, Ah Mun, Ah Suet, Ah Kwun, Ah Ling (that would be Jessie), Ah Toe. Chinese names are hard to remember! The first week I would pretty much say, "Nay ho, Ah......" and let them fill in the blank. I've pretty much abandoned Jill. No one here can pronounce it. They all end up saying Jiew (as in Hern Jiew for banana in Cantonese), which sounds funny so I decided to just stick with Ah Yun. It's a little strange to hear friends call me Ah Yun, when all my life I've just been known as Jenn.

1 comment: